About 601 Tully

Check out our new website! 601Tully.syr.edu

601 Tully is a center for engaged practice in Syracuse, NY developed by artist and professor Marion Wilson with a rotating collaborative team of 54 students and neighbors and Anda French of French 2Design. It's a site for meaningful exchange between artists, community members, and scholars in the co-production of culture.

601 Tully includes a contemporary art space, a public events space, a bookstore, a teaching garden, and Recess Cafe West.

In 2009, Wilson purchased the condemned two-story home and local drug hub, and throughout five semesters, Wilson's design/build class re-zoned, designed, renovated and now sustains the physical and programmatic aspects of 601 Tully. The collaborative team has consisted of artists, architects, environmentalists, Fowler High School students, Green Train Workforce, neighbors, and the occasional passerby.

601 Tully is made possible by the generous support of the Syracuse University School of Education, The Kauffman Foundation, The Near West Side Initiative, Imagining America, Home HeadQuarters Inc., Say Yes to Education, and National Grid.

Find us on Facebook!

Monday, December 28, 2009

On Collaboration

What is the nature of your collaboration?
For the last four months I have been collaborating with artists and architects from Syracuse University on a design-build project located at 601 Tully Street in the New West Side of Syracuse, NY. The building faces a condemned (but still used) elementary school and a rather large park/playground.

How is it different than your individual practice?
I don't think I've ever collaborated on anything relevant.
Well, I guess that I've never before collaborated on something of this magnitude or importance.
Of course there's been some music that nobody's ever heard (or ever will hear) and then all the various assignments and things for school but never been a part of something so tangible.
And certainly never been part of such a big, talented group like this one.

What, if any, are the effects of the collaborative effort on your individual art practice?
Positives:
-I get things done
-Inspired by those around me
-Learning how to work with people
Negatives:
-As a student of Environmental Policy and Urban Environmental Science (lacking both architecture and artspeak), it was at first difficult for me to know what my place was in the class and where my skill set fit in.
-Setbacks annoyed me. Interruptions in the flow of ideas and dialogue during class time were something I had to learn to deal with.
-Was surprised to learn that I immediately relinquish my input to an idea if I feel as if someone else's vision/justification is stronger or, somehow, better.
Therefore:
I've found that collaboration works for me mostly due to being socially responsible. If others are counting on me, I will always pull through. I can't say the same for my individual art practice as I have literally dozens of half-finished projects laying around my apartment and cluttering my hard drive. I think that if I apply social or group responsibility to the projects I've begun solo, it would really benefit me and help me actualize the half and mal-formed piles cramping my creative life. I've learned that I need some "good" guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment